October 19, 2013

Interview with American Gospel Singer Lenora Jones

lenora

Every now and then a new sound is added into the rotation of the gospel music genre. This new sound spreads a message of life and liberty. Lenora Jones is a new contributing factor to this message of hope and restoration. A definite flute with a lion’s heart, this singer/psalmist, musician, evangelist, actress, author and songwriter is the total package equipped with everything needed to be a pillar in the gospel music arena.
KAPA187: Tell us about yourself.

LENORA JONES: I am Lenora Jones, a wife, mother, teacher, servant, singer, psalmist, and minister of the Good News of Jesus Christ. I started playing the piano for the church at age 9 and emerged into a singer during that time. After years of directing choirs and singing solos inside the four walls of the church, I had the desire to be an entertainer because I wanted to share my talents with the world. I set out to fulfill the dream of being that entertainer in the secular music industry until I developed a more personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

KAPA187: You started out as an RnB singer in the group X-Cetra. What was your inspiration to transition into Gospel music?

LENORA JONES: I certainly enjoyed my time with X-Cetra as we were all aspiring to be the next female sensation alongside notable groups such as EnVogue, Xscape, etc. We were blessed to share stages with many great performers of that time. Performing with the girls gave me insight on the music industry and was a definite training ground and season of preparation for what was ahead. However, what has worked for others wasn’t working for me personally. Many of the opportunities presented then just seemed to come to a halt or fall through as if Someone had another plan for me. My inspiration to transition into Gospel music came from my pursuit to be closer to God. Spending time in prayer revealed God’s divine will for my musical talents as a singer, songwriter, and arranger. I understood that I was created to spread the Good News, encourage others, and share a message of hope through my music.

KAPA187: You had success doing “circular” music, did you ever regret going into gospel?

LENORA JONES: I have no regrets about my willingness to obey God’s purpose for my life. When God gives you an assignment to do, you will never go wrong. Doors have been opening ever since.

KAPA187: Having been in the music industry for a long time, do you feel that gospel music is actively spreading the word of God?

LENORA JONES: Without a doubt, I believe that gospel music is doing its job. I hear people say to me all the time how this song or that song blessed them and pulled them out of discouragement. People also have testified of healing and deliverance coming to them through the words of a song. Not only others but my own experiences with gospel music has been very enriching. I learned about the Fruit of the Spirit from a song. I learned about the importance of God’s love through a song. I have also learned many scriptures through songs.

KAPA187: What has been the best, and worst moments of your career?

LENORA JONES: The best moments of my career was traveling to Copenhagen, Denmark to share my ministry oversees. I was amazed to see how the Danish choirs thirsted for gospel music and accepted me as I shared my knowledge with them. Knowing that God hand picked me to go and share my musical talents only intensified my desire to minister to the nations. One of the worst moments of my career has been dealing with the false promises from others who say they are called to help you. It is heartbreaking to have someone tell you that they are going to make your “dream come true” and then have them disappear or avoid your phone calls. However, it only made me stronger and has caused me to rely solely on God to fulfill my dream.

KAPA187: What do you think is the biggest misconception about gospel artists?

LENORA JONES: I think that the biggest misconception about gospel artists is that some think that we are not real people who hurt, cry, feel pain, have challenges, etc. Everyday of our lives is not spent on stage before millions of people. We have some of the same struggles as others who don’t do what we do.

KAPA187: What challenges have you faced in the music industry?

LENORA JONES: One of the biggest challenges that I have faced is dealing with the politics of the industry. Competition is not my focus. I prefer that we all win souls for Christ as a united effort. There are some who prefer to focus on who sings best, who writes best, and who has had more success. However, when you’re anointed by God to carry out His purpose, none of these things matter. I’m more focused on the condition of people and how my ministry can help solve a problem or fill a need.

KAPA187: Tell us about your E.P and upcoming album “Special offering “, what can we expect from it.

LENORA JONES: I am extremely excited about my debut project. Special Offering is my giving back to God what He has given to me. The songs, the arrangements, the music, I give it all back to Him. You can expect to praise, worship, be inspired, and encouraged through the artist/producer collaborations of myself, Joey Oscar and Marcus Dawson. God blessed me with phenomenal producers to help birth this project. You can expect to hear music that will bless your life for many years to come.

KAPA187: Your single “Stronger” is very motivational, tell us what the song is about.

LENORA JONES: Stronger is about overcoming obstacles. It’s about using and appreciating them as stepping stones to develop a more resilient “you”. Many times struggles arise and people give up, walk out, turn their back, or just quit. Stronger sends the message that when struggle comes, you don’t have to worry because you’re going to make it through this and you’re coming out of it with your right mind, with strength, and with the victory. It sends the message that we’re going to stay in the race no matter what.

KAPA187: Apart from music, what do you do in your spare time?

LENORA JONES: Apart from music I am a teacher by career. I have dedicated myself to being a life time teacher and counselor. I also love working with my husband as we share the calling to ministry on our lives as we preach and teach the word of God, pray for others, and encourage the body of Christ. My spare time also consists of spending time with our son, two daughters, and other family members. I love to attend my son’s football games, travel, and spend time with close friends. I also enjoy mentoring others who seek to know God more.

KAPA187: What is your definition of heaven and what do you think it is like?

LENORA JONES: Heaven is my soul’s final resting place with God. Heaven was my home before I entered my mother’s womb and it’ll be the home that I return to when I leave this earth. It’s a beautiful place with continual love, joy, and peace. There are no problems there only an everlasting place where I can worship and enjoy God timelessly. I can imagine its purity, vivid colors, fine jewels, and the best of everything there. One of the songs on my upcoming LP is called Heaven is for Real. I sing of the angels singing hallelujah and seeing those who have gone before me. I sing of a place of majesty, glory, and power and seeing His face and all of its splendor. Heaven is a better place than any place on earth where I’ll be free forever with my Creator.

KAPA187: Any last words for your fans?

LENORA JONES: To my fans, I am so appreciative of the time you all have taken to listen to and purchase my music, listening to and reading my interviews, and coming out to different venues to hear me minister. It means so much to me. I will never take you for granted for you all are my support system and I am forever grateful. I speak many blessings to my fans now and for many years to come. I pray for God’s best blessings into the lives of every one of them.

Facebook FanPage: www.facebook.com/lenoramusic
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/lenorajones
Lenora Jones Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/lenora-jones/id303188329

No comments: